Monthly Archives: January 2015
Max Faulkner was an English professional golfer who was born in Bexhill on 29th July 1916. He won the Open Championship in 1951 and a total of 18 tournaments in UK and Europe during his career. On five occasions he played … Continue reading
The present-day BUPA Grosvenor Park nursing and residential home was originally opened in October 1958 by the then Lord Mayor of London, Sir Denis Truscott, a leading figure in the printing industry, as a convalescent home of the National Union … Continue reading
Following the death of the Maharajah of Cooch Behar in Bexhill on 18th September 1911, a memorial fountain was subsequently erected on the coastguard station behind the Colonnade. It was designed by Royal Doulton in glazed stoneware and stood 4.2 metres … Continue reading
Stone relief over the porch entrance to the chapel, Bexhill Cemetery, Turkey Road, shows the coat of arms of Bexhill Urban District Council between the words Bexhill Cemetery. The cemetery chapel was opened in 1902.
Triangular stone relief of pelican plucking her breast in order to feed her young surrounded by the words Legis, Plenitudo and Caritas ie love is the fullness of the law – above the main entrance doors to Our Lady of … Continue reading
A stone relief of Hermes (Greek) or Mercury (Roman), the god of communication, transportation and commerce, can be found over main entrance door to the Head Post Office in Devonshire Square. This building was opened in November 1931.
Caritas, meaning charity, is a stone relief on north wall of St Mary Magdalene’s Roman Catholic Church, Sea Road. A pelican is seen feeding her three young chicks with blood from her breast. A similar design can be seen above … Continue reading
Agnus Dei – Lamb of God – is a stone relief above arched window on west wall of St Mary Magdalene’s Roman Catholic Church, Sea Road. The church was opened in 1907.
Agnus Dei – Lamb of God – is a stone relief below the spire on one of the west walls of St Barnabas’ Church. The church was opened in 1891.
East Sussex County Police can be seen set in stone above entrance. This building, adjacent to the Sessions Court, was opened in 1903 and converted to residential use during 2002.