A large red, black and white wall plaque on the east wall records that this house was built in 1897 to commemorate the 60th year of Queen Victoria’s reign. There is also a red 1897 stone date plaque on the south wall. The house has some black and white as well as knobbly flint features and a decorative carved plaster design above one bay window. The house, which was built for A Marshall Jay, a leading London churchman and philanthropist, was originally known as the Queen’s Cottage. During the 1930s the house served as a private nursing home. It is now a private residence so please respect the owner’s privacy.
Addendum 31st October 2015: An important resident at one time was Prince Arkartdamkeung Rapheephat (1905 – 1932) whose semi-autobiographical novel, Lakhon Haeng Chiwit (“The Circus of Life”) was the first important Thai novel, providing unusual glimpses of the western world and Asia between the wars. The novel, written in English, was published in 1929. Bexhill-on-Sea is briefly described in the novel as “a calm, clean and dazzlingly beautiful place”. Also described is “a nice two-story (sic) house with beautiful green plants creeping along its walls” in Middlesex Road called “The Queen’s Cottage”.