Situated on the corner of Sea Road and Magdalen Road, within the grounds of St Mary Magdalene’s Roman Catholic Church, is the Peace Memorial which was unveiled on 2nd November 1919. This is Bexhill’s first war memorial and was designed by the then Town Mayor, Alderman George Herbert Gray. Made of stone the Memorial has three steps leading up to an archway where a crucifix may be seen on the back wall. At the front of the stone base below the crucifix is the inscription: Erected in thanksgiving for peace and in pious memory of the fallen. 1914 – RIP – 1919. Two long bronze plaques either side of the crucifix record the names of the fallen during the Great War. There are several other smaller bronze plaques bearing quotations within the archway. At the top of the Memorial is a carved figure representing a pelican plucking her breast in order to feed her young; also carved into the stone above the archway is Caritas meaning charity, one of the three theological virtues. The carved figure of the pelican can also be seen on the north wall of the church.