The Jubilee Clock was paid for by public subscription and unveiled on 20th June 1887 to mark Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee, which was officially celebrated on that day. The clock was originally housed in a warehouse connected to a grocery shop owned by Mr Gorringe. In 1902 the buildings were taken over by Cave Austin & Co Ltd, also grocers and provision merchants. However, a fire in their warehouse on 20th June 1908 gutted the building and destroyed the workings of the clock. The warehouse was rebuilt and later become an antiques centre and more recently a health, hair and beauty spa. After the fire the clock’s casing was found to be not too badly damaged so the clock was given new workings, restored to its original state and ceremonially restarted on King Edward VII’s birthday, 9th November 1908. Both the original and replacement workings were provided by a local clocksmith, Mr Shindler. Note the inscription VR 1887 on the clock-face. A drainpipe hopper on the far right-hand side of the building bears the date 1902 when Cave Austin took over the buildings. There is also a water pump near one of the entrance doors to the spa and although its origin is unknown it is not thought to be contemporary with this building.