In 1804, during the Napoleonic Wars, over 5,000 soldiers of the King’s German Legion were garrisoned at Bexhill. The barracks stretched over 25 acres between Belle Hill, Chantry Lane and the present-day London Road. A cemetery was established in Barrack Road where hundreds of military personnel and their dependents were buried over the years, including members of the King’s German Legion. The troops left in 1814 and the cemetery was later used as an extension of St Peter’s churchyard. During the Second World War a bomb fell on the cemetery and obliterated many of the tomb stones but a few can still be seen around the edge of the walls. The cemetery was little used after 1901. On 23rd April 1994 the Bexhill Hanoverian Study Group together with Bexhill Old Town Preservation Society unveiled a wooden plaque in these gardens in memory of those who are buried here. Lady Longford, the Study Group’s patron unveiled the plaque which reads: This former 19th century burial ground was originally the cemetery of the Bexhill Barracks situated in this area circa 1798 – 1820. In the recess adjoining Holliers Hill, rest several hundred soldiers of the British Army including over 150 personnel of King George III’s King’s German Legion.
Diese ehemalige Begräbnisstätte aus den neunzehnten Jahrhundert war ursprünglich der Soldatenfriedhof der Bexhiller Garnison von etwa 1798 bis 1820. Etwas zurückgesetzt von Holliers Hill ruhen mehrere hundert Soldaten der britischen Armee, einschliesslich von 150 Angehörigen der königlich deutschen Legion Georg des Dritten.