Admiral Charles Eustace Anson, C.B., M.V.O., was born in 1859 in Sudbury, Derbyshire. He had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy rising to the rank of Admiral on the Retired List in 1919. Subsequently he became a resident of Bexhill and was an outstanding and able figure in the town’s public life. The idea for a hospital in Bexhill was set in place during 1926 following a public meeting and fund raising activities soon started to occur. Admiral Charles Anson was the first chairman of the appeal committee. Bexhill Hospital was officially opened on 13th May 1933 by Her Highness, Princess Helena Victoria, a cousin of King George V. Charles Anson was considered the hospital’s “founding father” and the clock in the tower over the front entrance was erected in his memory. His wife ceremonially started the clock in October 1934. Admiral Anson died in Bexhill during May 1940. The clock’s workings may be seen in a long case in the hospital’s front lobby together with the following plaque: The clock in the hospital tower was placed there as a tribute to Admiral C E Anson, C.B., M.V.O., Chairman of the Board of Management 1930-33 by his co-workers and friends.