Malet Memorial Hall was built in 1912 by Lady Ermyntrude Malet as a memorial to her husband, Sir Edward Malet (1837 – 1908). He was a high-ranking British diplomat who retired with his wife to Wrestwood on Hastings Road (now St Mary’s Special School and College). Located on the corner of London Road and Belle Hill (now King Offa Way) the Church of the Good Shepherd occupied the first floor and the ground floor was the Malet Memorial Institution. The Church of the Good Shepherd was dedicated by Bishop Ridgeway in October 1913. Its purpose was to provide a meeting place for working men, giving religious instruction, as an alternative to the public houses. There was also provision at the rear of the building to support a soup kitchen during times of need. It is unclear when the church closed and in recent years the ground floor has been used as a restaurant. The large stone memorial plaque over the main entrance doors is now badly effaced but originally read: In memory of the Rt Hon Sir Edward Malet 4th Bart. This building was …… given to the church by Ermyntrude his wife. October 1913.
Addendum 6th October 2015: Further research has found that a “Farewell Service” was held in the Church of the Good Shepherd on 14th January 1995.