Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Lane (1827 – 1895) is known as the “Father of Local Government in Bexhill”. All his achievements, both military and political, can be read on the various panels around his memorial. The £225 needed to pay for the memorial was raised mainly by small sums of money subscribed by local people. It was unveiled on 25th June 1898 by his widow, Ellen Henrietta Lane, assisted by Lord Brassey and the 8th Earl De La Warr (see last picture). Designed by George Ball, the Borough Surveyor, and built by J M Whitehead and Sons Ltd, Westminster, the memorial rises to over 5.5 metres on the grassed lawn in the centre of Buckhurst Place, opposite the Town Hall. The ornamental monument is made from York stone together with red and grey granite and evidence of its former use as a drinking fountain can still be seen. On the north side there is an alabaster portrait medallion of Lieutenant-Colonel Lane. The memorial now has Grade II listed status.