Built in 1887, this building was officially opened by the 7th Earl De La Warr during 1888 as the Jubilee Memorial Institute, to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. The building contained a reading room, smoking room, committee room, card room, bar parlour and, later, a billiards room. There was a terra cotta medallion of Queen Victoria in a niche over the ornate eastern doorway with the inscription Bexhill Jubilee Memorial Institute 1887 cut into the stonework around the niche. Although these are now mainly lost, in angled sunlight the word “Institute” can still just be seen beneath the layers of paint on the lintel. The building subsequently became a Church Army centre and since 1961 has been a Youth and Community Centre.
The Centre’s clock was given by friends of Richard J Toleman, MBE, Medical Officer of Bexhill from 1948 to 1964 in commemoration of his devoted services to the youth of the borough.