Built on land that was given to the council by local builder, Mr John Webb, the clock was designed by Robert Hembrow and constructed by local builders Benjamin Gaston and F Ransome. The 8.4 metres high clock tower has a single stepped base and is made from imitation Bath stone with an entrance door on the north side, clock faces on all four sides and the tower topped off with a decorative weather vane. The Clock Tower had been built to celebrate King Edward VII’s Coronation on 9th August 1902 but due to a combination of bad luck and poor planning it was not completed until two years later. Mr Wright, a Bexhill watch and clockmaker, who had made the clock, started it for the first time on 19th July 1904. Upon completion there was no commemorative plaque and the present stone one on the south side which reads: Edward VII Coronation Memorial was only added, as part of the Clock Tower’s centenary celebrations, when the Town Mayor Cllr Stuart Earl unveiled the plaque on 18th July 2004. The Clock Tower was refurbished and repainted, including repair of the weather vane and new lights to illuminate the tower at night, during summer 2015.