The Museum first opened its doors to the public on 22nd May 1914 in the former Egerton Park Shelter Hall. This hall had originally been built in 1903 to provide public toilets and the park’s first indoor entertainments venue. Within a short time, however, the Museum’s activities were curtailed by events connected with the First World War; the building was temporarily utilised for military purposes and the Museum virtually ceased to exist. In 1919, in response to popular local feeling, the Museum was re-established, and since that date it has gone from strength to strength. An enlargement was necessary in 1924 and following a £2 million extension and renovation in 2009, the Museum now has three galleries displaying natural history, costumes and the town’s motoring racing heritage. Further information about many of the memorials, monuments and sculptures described on this trail may be found at the Museum.