The Polegrove was officially opened as a recreation ground in 1923. During the same year the first Cumberland bowling green was laid out and then used for the first time during 1925; the second green was ready for play by 1926. Bexhill Bowling Club moved from Egerton Park to the Polegrove in 1925 and in May of the same year the bowling pavilion was opened. Built into the roof of the pavilion can be seen a clock whose numbers are replaced by the letters THE HARRY LONG together with MEMORIAL CLOCK written in the centre. Harry Long was born in 1877 and was one of Bexhill’s most respected and public-spirited residents. Amongst many other activities he will be best remembered as the Honorary Secretary of the annual August Week Open Bowls Tournament held at the Polegrove from its first meeting in 1933 until his retirement in 1956. It is uncertain when this memorial clock was installed; Harry Long died, aged 82 years, in 1960. The adjacent art deco-style bowling shelter and changing rooms were built in 1936. A third bowling green was added in 1937 and the fourth in 1963.