Augustine of Canterbury, after whom the church is dedicated, was a Benedictine monk who became the first Archbishop of Canterbury in AD 597. He remained the Archbishop until AD 604 and is remembered as the founder of the English Church. His feast day is 26th May. This church was designed by W H R Blacking and its foundation stone was laid by Rt Rev H M Hordern, Bishop of Lewes, in May 1933 and consecrated by Bishop Bell in July 1934. However the church buildings remained unfinished until further plans were put forward by H H Ford in 1960; the church was finally completed and reconsecrated in 1963. The sculpture of St Augustine which sits in a large niche above an inscription over the main entrance was designed by John Skelton (1923 – 1999). The sculpture shows St Augustine standing in the prow of a ship clutching a cross and a rolled parchment.