Author Archives: pwhistorywriting

(47) Bexhill-on-Sea Tommy Memorial, Marina

During 2018 a Tommie’s memorial was erected on the lawn adjacent to the war memorial as part of the town’s commemoration of the centenary of the ending of First World War. The design used is similar to that adopted around … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

(46) Bexhill Butterfly, Wickham Avenue

During 2019 a large colourful butterfly landed on the end-wall of 29 Wickham Avenue. The mural was part of the Coastal Currents Arts Festival 2019 and was created by a Belgian street artist who has a tag CEEPiL.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

(25) Bexhill Rotary Club Coin Collector, Marina Court Garden

On 21st August 2015, Bexhill Rotary Club President, Raouf Oderuth, officially unveiled the club’s new coin collector. It has been placed in the newly refurbished area of the Marina known as the Marina Court Garden. The coin collector had been … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

(45) Max Faulkner memorial plaque, Sutton Place

Max Faulkner was an English professional golfer who was born in Bexhill on 29th July 1916. He won the Open Championship in 1951 and a total of 18 tournaments in UK and Europe during his career. On five occasions he played … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Appendix II. Alf Evans bust ex De La Warr Parade

The present-day BUPA Grosvenor Park nursing and residential home was originally opened in October 1958 by the then Lord Mayor of London, Sir Denis Truscott, a leading figure in the printing industry, as a convalescent home of the National Union … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Appendix I. Maharajah of Cooch Behar’s Memorial Fountain, ex Colonnade and Egerton Park

Following the death of the Maharajah of Cooch Behar in Bexhill on 18th September 1911, a memorial fountain was subsequently erected on the coastguard station behind the Colonnade. It was designed by Royal Doulton in glazed stoneware and stood 4.2 metres … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Appendix G. Chapel, Bexhill Cemetery, Turkey Road

Stone relief over the porch entrance to the chapel, Bexhill Cemetery, Turkey Road, shows the coat of arms of Bexhill Urban District Council between the words Bexhill Cemetery. The cemetery chapel was opened in 1902.  

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment