Category Archives: Uncategorized
Triangular stone relief of pelican plucking her breast in order to feed her young surrounded by the words Legis, Plenitudo and Caritas ie love is the fullness of the law – above the main entrance doors to Our Lady of … Continue reading
A stone relief of Hermes (Greek) or Mercury (Roman), the god of communication, transportation and commerce, can be found over main entrance door to the Head Post Office in Devonshire Square. This building was opened in November 1931.
Caritas, meaning charity, is a stone relief on north wall of St Mary Magdalene’s Roman Catholic Church, Sea Road. A pelican is seen feeding her three young chicks with blood from her breast. A similar design can be seen above … Continue reading
Agnus Dei – Lamb of God – is a stone relief above arched window on west wall of St Mary Magdalene’s Roman Catholic Church, Sea Road. The church was opened in 1907.
Agnus Dei – Lamb of God – is a stone relief below the spire on one of the west walls of St Barnabas’ Church. The church was opened in 1891.
East Sussex County Police can be seen set in stone above entrance. This building, adjacent to the Sessions Court, was opened in 1903 and converted to residential use during 2002.
Sessions Court and 1889 seal of East Sussex County Council can be seen set in stone above entrance. The building, adjacent to the Old Police Station, was opened in 1903 and later converted into residential use during 2002.
Situated on the A259 roundabout at Little Common are two similar metal signs each standing about 2.5 metres high. They show the outline of a horse painted in gold surrounded by the words Little Common painted in white. The signs … Continue reading
The war memorial on the A259 roundabout at Little Common was unveiled on 21st November 1920 by Major-General Sir John R Longley KCMG, CB, GO, Home Counties Territorial Division. Over 1,000 spectators attended the unveiling. The memorial is about 4 metres … Continue reading
St Martha’s Roman Catholic Church was designed by Marshall Wood and the foundation stone was laid in August 1939 by the Bishop of Pella, assistant to the Bishop of Southwark. Despite the outbreak of the Second World War one month … Continue reading